Agenda and minutes

Venue: Liverpool Suite. View directions

Contact: Kelly Kellaway, Democratic Services Manager  Email: democraticservices@merseyfire.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

9.

Chair's Announcement

Minutes:

Prior to the start of the meeting, information regarding general housekeeping was provided by the Chair to all in attendance.

 

The Chair checked that all Members had received papers for the additional items.

 

The Chair confirmed to all present that the proceedings of the meeting would be recorded and requested that any members of the public present who objected to being filmed, make themselves known.

 

No members of the public voiced any objection therefore the meeting was declared open and recording commenced.

 

1.

Preliminary Matters

The Authority is requested to consider the identification of:

 

a)  declarations of interest by individual Members in relation to any item of business on the Agenda

 

b)  any additional items of business which the Chair has determined should be considered as matters of urgency; and

 

c)  items of business which may require the exclusion of the press and public during consideration thereof because of the possibility of the disclosure of exempt information.

 

Minutes:

The Authority considered the identification of any declarations of interest, matters of urgency or items that would require the exclusion of the press and public due to the disclosure of exempt information.

 

Resolved that:

 

a)    The following declaration of interest was made by individual Members in relation to items of business on the Agenda:

 

·         Cllrs. Lesley Rennie and Jean Stapleton declared a personal interest in relation to Agenda Item 3 – Asset Management Plans 2016/17-2020/21, due to being Trustees of the Fire Support Network.

·         Dispensation forms were completed and received for all Members in attendance, in relation to the setting of the Budget and Council Tax precept.

 

b)    The following additional item of business was determined by the Chair to be considered as a matter of urgency; and was provided as a supplementary agenda item:

 

·         Agenda Item 8 -  “Tender for Insurance Services”

 

 

c)    The following items of business required the exclusion of the press and public during consideration thereof due to the possible disclosure of exempt information:

 

·         Agenda Item 7 - “Fire Fit Hub Options Appraisals and Recommendations”.

 

·         Agenda Item 8 – “Tender for Insurance Services”.

 

 

2.

Minutes of the Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 58 KB

The Minutes of the previous meeting of the Authority, held on 17th December 2015, are submitted for approval as a correct record and for signature by the Chair.

 

Minutes:

The minutes of the Authority Meeting held on 17th December 2015 were approved as a correct record and signed accordingly by the Chair.

 

3.

Asset Management Plans pdf icon PDF 37 KB

To consider Report CFO/011/16 of the Deputy Chief Fire Officer, concerning how the Authority plans to align its physical asset base with its corporate goals and objectives over the next five years (2016/17 – 2019/20).

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered report CFO/011/16 of the Chief Fire Officer, concerning how the Authority plans to align its physical asset base with its Corporate goals and objectives over the next five years (2016/17 – 2019/20). 

 

Members were provided with an overview of the report, which highlighted the Asset Management Plans for Estates, ICT and Transport; and how those Plans take account of the financial challenge faced by the Authority and the consequent changes that are likely to be required in order to continue to meet the requirements and expectations of internal and external service users.

 

 

Members resolved:

 

That the Asset Management Plans provided as Appendices to the report be approved.

 

4.

fFinancial review 2015/16 - April to December 2015 pdf icon PDF 4 MB

To consider Report CFO/007/16 of the Treasurer, concerning the financial position, revenue and capital, for the Authority for the period April to December 2015.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered report CFO/007/16 of the Treasurer concerning a review of the revenue and capital financial position for the Authority for April to December 2015/16.

 

Members were provided with an overview of the report which highlighted the Authority’s position for the period April to December 2015, in relation to its Treasury Management Strategy, financial process performance indicators, revenue budget; and delivery against the agreed savings.

 

Members resolved that:

 

a)    The potential £0.65m favourable revenue position identified within the report, be noted.

b)    The utilisation of the £0.65m favourable revenue position to increase the capital investment reserve in light of the station merger programme and Service investment needs, be approved.

c)    The Treasurer be instructed to continue to work with Budget Managers to maximise savings in 2015/16.

 

5.

MERSEYSIDE FIRE AND RESCUE AUTHORITY BUDGET AND FINANCIAL PLANMerseyside Fire and Rescue Authority Budget and Financial Plan 2016/2017 – 2019/2020 pdf icon PDF 6 MB

To consider Report CFO/008/16 of the Treasurer, concerning the setting of a medium term capital and revenue financial plan, that allocates resources in line with the Authority’s strategic aims and ensure that the Authority delivers an efficient, value for money service. This will also allow the Authority to determine a budget for 2016/17 and a precept level, in line with statutory requirements.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered report CFO/008/16 of the Treasurer, presenting information to allow Members to set a medium term capital and revenue financial plan that allocates resources in line with the Authority’s strategic aims and ensure the Authority delivers an efficient value for money service.  This will allow the Authority to determine a budget for 2016/17 and a precept level in line with statutory requirements.

 

Members were provided with an overview of the report, which detailed the financial strategy and precept level proposed in order to achieve a balanced financial plan up to 2019/20.

 

Information was provided regarding the financial challenge up to 2019/20 and options for meeting this challenge. Members were informed that savings of approximately £11m are required by the end 2019/20; and although a proportion of technical savings have been identified, there will still be a requirement to make savings of approximately £5.5m from employee costs.

 

Of that £5.5m, savings of approximately £1.5m are anticipated from support functions, leaving around £4m of savings required from frontline services. Work is currently underway to consider options for delivering those savings required from Operational Response, and these options will be included within the Integrated Risk Management Plan for consultation; and will be brought back to the Authority for approval. 

 

Members were advised that the technical savings identified, will provide the Authority with time to implement structural changes required to facilitate employee reductions.

 

Members commented on the difficult decisions that the Authority are facing and the crucial work undertaken by Fire and Rescue Services with regard to prevention measures.  They commented on the need to continue lobbying Government and local MPs and thanked Officers for their honesty and support.

 

The Chair of the Authority – Councillor Dave Hanratty confirmed that a proposed Budget Resolution, submitted by the Labour Group, had been circulated to all Members; and that no alternative budget proposals had been received by the Clerk to the Authority.

 

The Labour Group Budget Resolution was then formally moved by Cllr Maloney and seconded by Cllr Hanratty.  Members then voted on the motion:

 

15 Members voted in favour of the motion.

0 Members voted against the motion

0 Members abstained.

 

The Budget Resolution for 2016/17 was therefore unanimously approved.

 

Members resolved that:

 

a)    The 2016/17 service budgets set out in the report, be noted.

b)    The Treasurer’s recommendation on maintaining the current level of general fund balance at £2.000m, and maintaining the reserves as outlined in Paragraph 170 to 173 of this report be endorsed.

c)    The current plan to increase the precept by just below 2% for 2016/17, raising the Band D Council Tax from £71.47 to £72.89 and confirm the strategy for future precept rises (the plan assumes 2% in each year thereafter), be endorsed.

d)    The assumptions in developing a four year (2016/17 – 2019/20) Financial Plan outlined in the report and the Medium Term Financial Plan in Appendix C and the 2016/17 budget estimate of £61.507m be endorsed.

e)    The 2016/17 – 2019/20, £11.000m saving plan as outlined  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.

6.

Emergency Medical Response Trial pdf icon PDF 68 KB

To consider Report CFO/012/16 of the Chief Fire Officer, concerning an update on the proposed introduction of a co-responding pilot, between Merseyside Fire & Rescue Authority (MFRA) and North West Ambulance Service (NWAS), as part of the ongoing Blue Light Collaboration Work.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered report CFO/012/16 of the Chief Fire Officer, providing Members with an update on the introduction of a co-responding trial between Merseyside Fire & Rescue Authority (MFRA) and North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) as part of the ongoing Blue Light collaboration work. The trial will involve a joint emergency response to cardiac arrest incidents by MFRA and NWAS. The report details the work undertaken to enable the six month trial beginning in February 2016 in line with NJC Circular 13/15.

 

Members were informed that a Memorandum of Understanding has now been signed between all parties and that the trial is due to commence on 29th February 2016.

 

Members were also advised of analysis undertaken, which identified that attendance at all cardiac arrest incidents across Merseyside, would equate to an additional seven incidents per day on average; and attendance at those events would have a slight impact on average response times and achievement of the response standard.

 

However, Members were informed that the benefits of attendance at such incidents would far outweigh any potential impact; and that a number of safeguards have been incorporated within the MoU to enable Fire Control to decline response in certain circumstances.

 

 

Members resolved that:

 

The contents of the report be noted.

 

 

 

 

7.

Fire Fit Hub Options Appraisals And Recommendations

To consider report CFO/009/16 of the Deputy Chief Fire Officer concerning an appraisal of options regarding the Firefit Hub.

 

This report contains exempt information by virtue of Paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972.

Minutes:

This Minute contains EXEMPT information by virtue of Paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972.

8.

Tender for Insurance Services

To consider Report CFO/013/16 of the Clerk to the Authority concerning the award of the contracts for insurance services.

 

This report contains EXEMPT information by virtue of Paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972.

 

 

Minutes:

This Minute contains EXEMPT information by virtue of Paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972.